Pages

Monday, March 31, 2008

A conundrum of sorts.....

I am sure I completely misspelled the title. I am not known for my English. Actually, most of the world is not known for their English anymore. We are melting...... I digressed.
I am writing today to kind of talk through some issues I have. Like the issue of Mom and Pop companies, or the issue of working for "Mom&Pops". People want to complain about big business all the time. Big business ruined the American way, big business hurts the small guy, blah bah blah. What big business does is drive competitive wages, drive competitive pricing, and drives the economy. I recently got into an argument with a relative. This relative refused to go to Starbucks with the comment of supporting local. So I asked who employs more people. The local yokels or Starbucks? Relatives reply was that Starbucks money doesn't stay here. I disagreed. I asked who she thought donated more to the community. Local or Starbucks? The fact is this....
Big business is a "good" evil if you will. It is able to provide more benefits for its employees than small businesses. Retirement, health care, paid vacations, etc... What small business should take advantage of is work environment, flexible scheduling, and family type atmosphere. Most do not though, and that is why they cannot hold good employees. I am at this such fork in my road. I do not dislike my employer, at the same time I do not like the pay. I know....I know. Just go ask for what I want. Well that is set into motion. Within 30 days I will be better paid. Albeit by this current employer or myself. The latter is scary, but realistic as it comes. I still live in an area where customer service is a leverage tool, and I like providing it. So we will wait and see. Till next time....
Work hard, but live life for your family and friends.

No comments: